'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Poignant Side of Funny

Liking poetry for the chance to chew on words slowly, a blog I silently follow called 'The Rain In My Pursehttp://theraininmypurse.blogspot.com/ gives me a full course dinner.

'Pecking Order' acrylic on canvas board   ©robinrkent
What's so funny?
I chuckled at the poem she mentioned called 'What Narcissism Means to Me' by Tony Hoagland, published by Graywolf Press. Never aware of that phrase before - if it is one - (I don't get around much), I had to read it.

Comedy and Tragedy being so connected, I wonder why they aren't thought of as a unit more often. Like twins separated at birth, or sweet complementing spicy, or Woody Allen, the hidden poignant factor helps - in a strange way - find that funny side of life.

I think laughing, or even a fleeting grin, is a way we unconsciously give thanks for being part of the act.

5 comments:

Carole Reid said...

I guess that's why a person can experience laughing turning into cries. Those are some whiskers!

Mimi said...

Thanks for your kind words. I have not been visiting many blogs lately, I guess you know why. But I see you changed yours, I love the woman with her kitty and I love this cat with the bird on his head!!!!
you are doing wonderful things. keep it up.



Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Cindi Myers said...

Comedy and Tragedy connected?
That is indeed a relief.
I'm always surpressing smiles and stifling laughter at funerals.
And here I thought I might just be a Lunatic or worse, merely Morbid.

Sand said...

In a crossword I did yesterday there was the hint "sitting pretty" the answer..... "thecatbirdseat"

Robin Kent said...

Sand, you learn something new everyday!