'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Toy Land

I can recall favorite childhood Christmas presents: my cat (an impulse adoption from the church basement where my uncle was the minister), a recumbent-peddled metal hook & ladder fire engine, a large wooden rocking horse called 'Big Red' floating on spring supports, natural maple (?) wood blocks that fit perfectly in its cardboard box, and my cobbler's bench. I never was much for dolls or girly things.
Sensory satisfaction of wood on wood. 
Playing with the wooden blocks and cobbler's bench continue in my assemblage artwork as an adult child. I don't have the originals anymore.
(Here's one like mine, left, sold as a Vintage Playskool Cobbler's Bench.)
However the satisfaction of pounding dowels, or building block sculptures has never left.
Many days remind me of those play times when I'm creating art in the shop.




5 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

I've heard it said that who we were and what we loved, when we were very young, is who we really are.
Obviously true for both of us.
You with your blocks and mallet and me dragging around my stuffed dog while my sister and the other girls played with their babydolls.
:)

Carole Reid said...

Robin, lucky you to still be pounding and building and sawing! My girls had one of these wooden toys and they loved every second of hammering those pegs through to the other side so they could turn it over and start again. What fun you have!

Robin Kent said...

Cyndi, I loved my bibbed overalls as a kid also. That's another professional love.
Carole, I was going to mention the joy of turning it over to start again. That was the best part! Never ending fun! (I haven't figured out how to leave a 'reply' format yet. Will work on it in the new year. I'll be in touch if I can't figure it out...

mimi boothby said...

I bought an ugly pair of white bib overalls and my sister dyed them so they look very stylish. I remember that little hammering toy too, I loved it and so did my kids. I look forward to your creations in the new year. Keep hammering!

Anonymous said...



Having read this I thought it was really informative. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!