'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fairy Tale Folk Art

I had an offer from Frog Hollow Gallery to create a piece from Grimm's fairy tales for an upcoming group show. I was so excited I said I'd like to create two pieces: maybe an assemblage for one and a painting for another!
"Red and Her Consort' acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent
Fairy tales are a personal favorite, and I haven't done any 'literary work' in a long time. It was
'a very long time ago ...'
Illustrating simple stories takes thought. The artwork needs to live up to their exalted imaginary status.
Due to my meager photography skills, the four layers making up this wall assemblage aren't obvious. Grandma's house is far away, indeed. 
Now on to Cinderella: painted lady or stacked wood? The ending yet to be determined.

7 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

I am in AWE.

Carole Reid said...

Robin, your title "Red and Her Consort" makes me laugh. Love the looks on Red and Consort's faces! Eager to see what you decide with Cinderella and what you name that! Have fun.

Robin Kent said...

Thanks Cindi and Carole! You 2 make my day! Wish I knew how I can comment to others, like the format you have, Carole. Guess this will have to do for now.

Sand said...

Sam the Sham and the Pharohs

What a big heart I have-the better to love you with.
Little Red Riding Hood
Even bad wolves can be good.
I'll try to be satisfied just to walk close by your side.
Maybe you'll see things my way before we get to grandma's place.

Little Red Riding Hood
You sure are looking good
You're everything that a big bad wolf could want.
Owoooooooo! I mean baaaaaa! Baaa?

Mimi said...

oh man, this is so YOU. wonderful. I love Red and her Consort!!

congrats! have fun

amanda white said...

I love this Robin, reminds me of my old pop up fairy tale books when I was a kid. And Cinderella was always my favourite ... looking forward to seeing what you make of that.

Robin Kent said...

Sand, too funny! I forgot about that song. A perfect fit here!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Mimi and Amanda. Cinderella is going to be a challenge. Would have been easier to pick a less perfect subject.