'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Shad bush and shad fish

I see the shad bushes blooming here in Vermont: lacy white flowers stand out on distant hills as I travel along the road. I know then the shad are also running on Cape Cod, where I used to live. It's as if the Vermont trees have a direct line to the Cape fish: keeping me informed of what's going on in my old neighborhood, reminding me the time to witness the fish run is now.
Bathroom Trophy Fish (for over the mirror)     ©robinrkent

I've smelled the briny air and heard the herring as they flip up the river to spawn in Harwich's Grist Mill pool. They sounded like a marble rolling through a pipe when clearing the step against the flow.
Now I'm fishing for art to hang in my small turquoise bathroom (previous post). Hopefully no fish will be jumping up any steps here. That would be quite a surprise, I'd imagine.
(I'll post the painting I'm working on for the space of honor - over the throne - when completed.)

5 comments:

Sand said...

Gee and all the while I thought you were a kid from staten island. Enough of the wise guy, I really liked your description. Btw you don't mention actually fishing, do you or did you?

Robin Kent said...

In this particular scenario, it's illegal to poach while the shad are running. It's a solid fish-fest while they jockey each other to jump up the ladder - can't see anything but a solid mass of fish. Hmmm - around the same time as the Kentucky Derby: one big nature theme happening this time of year?

Cindi Myers said...

love the fish.
:D

Cindi Myers said...

Hey, did I remember to send you that info about word verification?
My mind is numb.
I remember "thinking" about it but now I don't know if I ever actually "did" it.

Robin Kent said...

Cindi-I tried to find that info back on your blog but didn't look far back enough, I guess. YES Could you tell me once again how to do it? Thanks!