'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Favorite Artists, part one

From previous generations or present day colleagues, there are artists that resonate with me. Finally got to a point where I can look at work and know immediately if it's for me or not. As much as I love my category (contemporary folk, outsider, naive or brut art), not all are my cup of tea. But the art I like in whatever category ( abstract, representational; painters, sculptors, assemblage artists, etc.) I love!  I see a common thread. Even if the medium and eras are different.
Milton Avery, 'Conversation'  (courtesy bjws blog)
I wake up daily to my print of 'Conversation' (1956) by Milton Avery. What a great way to greet the day. Never tire of looking at it. I like the simple edited form, large feeling of volume, subtle colorful colors (the color is off on this image).
I feel I can mentally paint along side him when I look at his work. Here's the best site I've found so far on him:
I'll add more of my favorites in future posts. Who do you love?

6 comments:

Anita said...

Thanks for this...I was unfamiliar with this artist...I love the lady in the pink dress...a painting on the link you sent us. I think one of my favorite artists is Waterhouse.

Mimi said...

Oh thank you, what a nice conversation. I love Andrew Wyeth and was thrilled to know that he was still alive when I started painting watercolors, and watched his website as some of his million dollar paintings turned up there. I have a small print of one of his paintings at my desk too. It's just a small white cat sitting in a sunbeam. It reminds me that so many rules can be broken and still a great painting can be made. I like
"conversation" too.



Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors

Cindi Myers said...

Annora Spence
Sam Toft
Sandy Mastroni
Marc Chagall
Robin Kent
Vincent Van Gogh
Matte Stephens
I've got more....but these just POPPED into my head.

Robin Kent said...

Thanks, Cindi! I'm in very good company!

An Urban Cottage said...

I saw the Avery image on the sidebar of oldcatboo and had to stop by to see what it was about. I LOVE Milton Avery's work for his ability to boil down a form into one or two simple flat shapes.

I was in Rockport, MA the other day and came upon a gallery that was showing the work of Joseph Solman. I knew nothing about him but two of the paintings had a very Avery feel. It turns out they were friends so I'd love to know who influenced whom in this idea. It turns that Solman was one of the group of The Ten that included Rothko and Adolph Gotlieb so I "should" have known who he was. I'll be doing a post soon that includes the work.

Nice to "meet" you.

Steve

Robin Kent said...

Thanks Steve. The feeling is mutual. I look forward to that post!