'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Folk Art Diary: The Wisdom of Sheep

'The Wisdom of Sheep' acrylic on canvas
copyright robin r kent
Nature becomes partial to browns (my favorite color) this time of year. It is stick season, after all. Slim pickin's for a colorist.
This sheep portrait was painted midwinter a few years ago. I usually render them 'au naturel' but during this time frame I thought they could use a dye job. A little zip in the color wheel would cheer up most.
Why do sheep seem so all-knowing? Is it because they have been deemed the 'chosen ones' by artists and others alike from time immemorial? Were they given wisdom by sacrificial ancestors in exchange for their fate? They always look dignified even when dressed in pink.

8 comments:

Karin Lynn Cumming said...

....especially in pink. Now that is a "stylish lady." I love your work....they always make me smile and in the "dark days of winter" that is a very good thing.

Cindi Myers said...

Brown? really?

Robin Kent said...

Yeah, I know, Cindi...many people have the same reaction when I say that, but it's true. Guess I like different colors for different reasons. I can see every color in brown (maybe that's my imagination) and it gives me comfort. I can picture myself purring wrapped up in brown.

Sand said...

People see brown in many ways, it is associated quickly as "earthy" yet it is made of shades which are very bright ....red, yellow, orange.
Since it is nearly cocktail time on the east coast I will think of brown simply as the color of Scotch. Now let me think should I go earthy as in a peat based deep flavor or bright with a brisk single malt aged in a sherry barrel.

Cindi Myers said...

don't get me wrong. I do like brown...especially CHOCOLATE brown but I'm just surprised that it's your favorite. I would have thought Orange or maybe Purple.
:)
or GREEN!

Robin Kent said...

So many ways of looking at color...hmmm, maybe another blog subject. My favorite color combo is red and purple. Always has been since I can remember.
Yes, scotch is a good winter drink and maybe the color has something to do with it, too? (Dark chocolate cocoa isn't bad, although coffee is my favorite year round.) Just noticing all my favorite foods are brown also...subliminal suggestion?

Carole Reid said...

Brown? I too am surprised to read that little bit of info. I would have guessed pink or purple or blues! Your work is so colourful and cheeky. Brown?

We had a pet lamb in NZ that looked all knowing but wasn't the brightest bulb in the herd. We named him Lamby (very original I know!)

Robin Kent said...

Maybe Lamby was all knowing because he didn't have a lot to know! And being a male lamb, maybe ignorance is bliss?
Another reason I like brown is it blends with all other colors. No color clash with brown.