'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Developing An Artist's 'Eye'

'Hang In There' Acrylic on Boards
©robinrkent
Why do happy times seem so fleeting, difficult times last so long, and creative times have no sense of time at all?

My time away from painting has given me the perspective of a 'viewing audience member,' and not one as a working artist. I always thought I could 'step back' and view works objectively, but never have from this time distance. Who knew a different sort of art appreciation would be gained by not painting!?

7 comments:

Carole Reid said...

So how does the view differ?
Love this work! And your sense of humour.
Take care.

Sand said...

Please stay happy. You have a nice life in Vermont away from many negative influences. You told me you liked hand puppets in the dark, why not "reflect" them tonight.

Robin Kent said...

Oh, Sand, thank you for your concern, but no fear: I've been called a Pollyanna as long as I can remember, an eternal optomist, etc. It's in the DNA, I suppose. Didn't mean to sound like a frustrated non-producing artist! Tonight I'm watching my hands find the right keys on my mother's laptop in the dark!
Hi Carole. I think the difference is: viewing work as an artist, I take in my initial reaction, then my mind goes to analyzing the layout, color interplay, etc and then jumps to imagining the process of how the piece was constructed. Viewing work in my nonartist mode, I just look at the work and think about what it says to me. Nice to keep the conversation solely on that subject.

mimi torchia boothby watercolors said...

aha. Interesting. i will have to try that.

I love your kitty in the tree!
happy, bright, colorful, whimsical and so much movement too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful colors, Robin, and of course that whimsical signature!

johanna

ArtPropelled said...

Love the cat hanging in there for dear life!He still has his eye on the main chance. Lots of birdie temptations.

DJ said...

I really enjoy the freshness of your work. This piece makes me happy because of the subtle color blending of the cools, then a pop of warm. Had to return and look again. :-)