'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's Not What You Think

'Multitasking Bachelor Sailor' wall assemblage
©robin r kent, photography Tad Merric
This time of year, my mind has a hard time staying on task. So many opportunities, so many things to do. So many things needing to be done. Many layers. I can become easily distracted but my inner compass nags me about how far I'm veering off course.
When I finally land in the studio, and start wrestling with a new art assemblage or sculpture, I find what I thought most important is not. And the unintentional peripheral experience is. It's not the work I learn from, but the play.
I'll paint something deliberately, only to find it was a chance brushstroke or wood shape that captured the elusive essence.
Unwittingly, I've found this observation useful in other aspects of life, too. Do one thing, learn something totally unexpected. Everyday a surprise.

3 comments:

amanda white said...

How very, very true, Robin.
The elusive essence.
I'm trying to look for it right this minute.
And you know what?
It's eluding me.
I think I'll take the cat for a walk and come back later.
LOVE the boat.
Amanda
xx

Cindi Myers said...

I get SO EXCITED when I see there's a new post on your blog!
:)
I'm never disappointed.
I love your newest creation and your insight post AND adore your new header!
:) - Cindi

Robin Kent said...

Oh Amanda, we had a little black cat that walked in our house around Halloween and stayed for 10 years. We loved her becaue she was incredibly wise. Jim only liked dogs to that point, but she changed his mind when they would go together for walks on a leash. After her, he tried to adopt another black cat expecting to get her again, but our new one had his own personality, rightly so. He misses her.
And about black cats...Hi Cindi (aka oldblackcatboo)! Thanks for the support. I'll try to live up to it! It's fun to write what's on my mind, find a piece that exemplifies it, and tweek the words to fit. Never thought I'd enjoy posting, but It's become another creative challenge.