'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Sailor's Dream

'A Sailor's Dream' acrylic wall assemblage
courtesy Frog Hollow Gallery/7Days newspaper
I spent each summer 'cruising Maine' with friends many years ago. How would I know that as a staunch land lubber, I would look back so fondly on those days?
I think it comes from 'the stretch.' By that, I mean putting yourself in a situation that you might not have dreamed of, working hard on the coping mechanisms, learning a bit more than you knew before, and leaving a little richer for the experience.
'The Stretch' can be applied to any topic of your choosing. Art is always a good subject to start with. Some of the hardest lessons become the most cherished.

5 comments:

Carole Reid said...

So true Robin!
Mabel, my daughter's little dog just learned a lesson from my old cat, Isabelle......don't even think about barking at me you stupid little dog! Swat! Hiss! Swat!

Robin Kent said...

My late cat, Aretha, a veteran of the streets, told my stepson's Boston terrier who's boss when the pup came for her first visit. Too bad that info wasn't passed on to these 2 'cream puff' house cats, who dive under the bed as soon as they hear her. Guess they could have used a bit more 'life experience stretches,' too.

mimi torchia boothby watercolors said...

ah, yes, the stretch. After telling yourself for years that you don't like "X" and then you finally do it, and you love it and you wonder what the heck you were thinking... Watercolors are one of those for me.

Sailor's dream is wonderful

Cindi Myers said...

yep, I need to do some stretching myself! :)

Sand said...

The other day I met with a trainer in the gym. I will be working with her for a few weeks. One of the first things she had me do is "stretch" forward to measure flexibility. I did well so I am flexible. Sounds like you are too. When I saw the last work you posted all I could think of was... A sailor went sea, sea, sea to see what he could see, see, see but all that he could see, see, see, was the bottom of the deep blue sea. Your guy got a lot luckier.