'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love Is In The Air

'Tango Dancers' acrylic assemblage
(A Skunk or Nice Guy?)
©robin r kent
Ahh, can you tell love is in the air? Even though it's February, things are warming up. Valentines Day is approaching and it's skunk rutting season. Hard to ignore while driving rural highways, especially at night. That amorous Pepe Le Pew is everywhere.

I became familiar with skunks in February while living on Cape Cod. Many older homes don't have foundations and space between the sandy ground and floorboards to my bedroom made perfect skunk rendezvous habitat. It was squeal, spray, repeat. Nothing can describe the scent when experienced that closely. Not even a wet facecloth 'mask' helped teary eyes.

But through 'Skunk Movers R Us' (very un-PC, I know now) we learned they were just little nice guys that didn't see well. And you don't want to surprise them, trust me.

We became so proficient at relocation that we stopped using the old blanket to cover their 'have a heart' cage while in transit.

I'm still fond of Februarys even as their scent drifts by me now. Ahh, young love.

8 comments:

mimi torchia boothby watercolors said...

I love skunks too, from afar. Here in Seattle we rarely smell them. So what you are telling me is that skunks bumped into other skunks under your house (?!?!) and they sprayed because they were startled??

I like your heart sculpture!

Cindi Myers said...

Just amazing!
You always capture the "movement" perfectly!

Robin Kent said...

You made me chuckle! I don't think the reason they'd spray us is the same reason they'd spray when together, but I don't think I'd want to be that close (again) to find out more of the details!

Sand said...

When I was in college I saw the j.gels band, Peter Wolf sang "Love Stinks". I love the Tango.

Sand said...

Mended Hearts implies broken hearts (great stitches) Yet, "Love is in the air", as you say. Your whole theme is very poetic. I really like it.

PURA said...

Great work - the tango couple is wonderful.

liza myers said...

Robin the tango-ers are fantastic. Color, movement and spirit unite into a joyful, seductive flow. And your skunk story is wonderful- yes- up close the scent is SO different- penetrating, pungent and horrific. Miss you... hope the spring brings you time in the studio!

ArtPropelled said...

I have not had the pleasure of smelling skunk but gather it must be revolting. Your tango dancers are charming! I also love your mended hearts.