'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Contemporary folk art musings: No point to it

'Tumble Home'
acrylic on rough board
I have favorite brushes that I use while painting contemporary folkart. I wish I knew what made them my favorites so I'd buy more just like them when the time came. But, like everything in life, you don't know how they'll react until you get some miles on them. The one thing they all have in common is they lose their points. Some became really splayed, some look like a spikey hairdo. And they take on a different attitude when put to the canvas, or wood. They knew what would happen. They've been there before. That's what I love about them.  I was reluctant to replace them when they lost their appetite for paint because it can be so expensive.  But then I found I liked that they didn't have any point. It forced me to use their resources as best I could.  I built a style around it. It kept me loose. And soft. - Perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is GREAT! I get to see you (!!!) and your ART and read what you've written. I'm in heaven, I tells ya'. I've read all the posts, and now will go back and look more closely at what your describing. I'm so happy that you're doing this. This work is very moving to me and your description helps me see what you've done. I see sailboats are still in your mind's view...Much love, Mary