'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Folk Art Diary: Noticing how you see

'Winter solstice' acrylic on canvas       ©robinrkent
Reading books (or art) in the western world moves left to right. Then down to left again. A 'Z' motion. (or a 'Zorro' swash to me.) 'Reading' art is faster, but takes time to process. It being a more interactive endeavor.
The Z can make art move like a fast-paced action thriller. The blog header ski art (above) uses the diagonal to infer motion. Diagonals keep you off balance, an innate sense exploited by artists. And directs your eye. Notice how Kandinsky uses it to add dynamic motion in his work listed here: 'Top 10 Modern Artists'. (He's  #2.)
The tilt of the fellow (above), fall of the hill, and angle in the sky was to show some depth. Not a downhill slide on skis, just a creep.








3 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

I LOVE your blog SO much!
Fabulous Art.
Great writing.
and I always learn something.
Makes me wish I went to Art School.
and that's saying a lot because I hated school, any kind of school, with a passion.
:)
Thanks again!

Anita said...

Thanks for that info...I see I see...and I love the movement in the skiing dog

Carole Reid said...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz....interesting how our eyes move to take in a painting. Love this painting and post!