'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Friday, December 9, 2011

Lowly Thoughts Far From the Studio

mermaid
©robin r kent
Even though I'm away from the shop, (see previous post) I can still go to it mentally and float through the process I use when creating a new piece. We can dream, can't we?
Mentally I stroke the grains on my antique boards. Always love the feel and texture of aged wood. Its pedigree used to mean the most to me. The most valuable wood I have are the boards from former barns. Even though they are not large enough for other uses now, the full dimension, hand sawn, vintage pieces add depth to my work, and are an art form in itself.
But I have a new love also. Its name is plywood. I love plywood because it allows my drawings to become art. Because its grain goes in both directions, I can cut circles and waves without worry of them breaking along the grain. Like a permissive parent, it lets me venture into the unknown to find my own (or its) limitations. I keep threatening to jump to the good ship 'Polymer', but plywood brings me back to the woodlands. I am now a former plywood snob.
The other unsung hero I find all around me whether in the studio or at the kitchen sink is the lowly rag, Like the barn boards, I always acknowledge its former life first. Some used to be my pajamas. Others were favorite beach towels. Recalling happy times as it scours the sink, cleans brushes. A useful second life in its retirement. We all should be so lucky.

5 comments:

Carole Reid said...

Your last line "we should be so lucky" has me wondering how you are.
The lowly rag accompanies me in my studio. They were once clean, soft bath towels. Now they are covered in paint and stain but still come out soft from the dryer.

Cindi Myers said...

I'm thinking much the same as Carole. How are you doing?
I hope your Mom is healing and feeling better!

Your mermaid reminds me of a huge paper mache one that I made many years ago....that was such fun, I had forgotten about that. Hmm...
I'm asking for a nail gun for Xmas!
I hope Santa brings it. Maybe I should ask for some plywood too?
XOXO - Cindi

Paula said...

Such delightful art work! Love them all! :)

Robin Kent said...

Thanks all for thinking of me. Playing the 'supporting' role for my 2 family members - partner's stroke a few years ago, and now my mother's fall - makes me appreciate how lucky I am to have a calling I can return to after the dust settles. I still take that for granted. Maybe a brief pause, but no such thing as retirement here.

Mimi Torchia Boothby said...

nice post. I love old barn wood too.
but you make it into something new!