'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Two Ways of Looking at Art

'When Spike Met Spot'
Acrylic on Antique Barn Board
©robin r kent

I recently read in an art magazine a comment on how any original creative work is always the interpretation of the artist. The gist was even photo realism artists looking at the same subject will paint it differently. A good observation I thought.
Thinking it out a little further, the same holds true at the other end - with the observer. Some art I think mundane, while other viewers go gaga; naive, contemporary folk art connects with me, others think unfinished or childish. Go figure. Something for everyone.

I suppose it’s best to start with a healthy appreciation of the basics and to master them: drawing, composition, and color theory are the ones I notice. Every work needs to have a proficiency of one or some of them to be successful. But after that, what?

It’s taken me years to loosen up and find my style. I’m willing to keep the parts I like and expand on the rest. Loose rules. That’s the nice thing about art. Whatever works goes. Or, go with whatever works.

4 comments:

Cindi Myers said...

I've painted what I guess you would call naive, self-taught paintings, folk art or outsider or pop?...I was never sure what to call them and I've sold some and I don't really know what color theory or "composition" is but luckily someone liked them enough to fork over some cash.
I've seen detailed "realistic" paintings and felt NOTHING, while sometimes a quick line drawing can move me. Sometimes I look at paintings that have sold for thousands of dollars and just shake my head. I don't believe that those paintings are better than any others, I just believe that the buyers have bought into the "hype". Money, taste, talent and work are not explainable to me...I mean, Judge Judy makes more money than a Supreme Court Judge and Reality Stars rake in the cash while Firefighters and Teachers just scrape by.....
Oops, I need to climb down off this soap box, I'm getting off topic.

Sand said...

I am glad you have loosened up

Carole Reid said...

And then there are those who care colour blind who must see things really differently!
Loose rules!

Erin Wagg said...

Robin, you are just the right kind of "loosened up"!

I missed you at the Sheraton art show this year! I hope all is well. I look forward to the next time I get to see your cool works! Take care,