'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Baseball has been very very good to me...

Wall-Relief Pitcher
©robin r kent
Roberto Clemente?  Chico Escuela on Saturday Night Live? Sammy Sosa?

Whoever said it first doesn't matter. Next to making art, it's my favorite professional sport.

The processes of both are similar: getting lost in its slowness, but noticing the quick nuances. Building on itself, keeping the interest of what might happen next. The quirks and personal ticks being part of the fabric making up the whole.

Then reflecting on what was done in the following days. What could have been done differently.

Some become classics like the vision of Carlton Fisk's waving his ball fair: the game winning run in the 12th inning of the '75 World Series.

I live in a divided baseball family in this section of New England. Part is Yankee territory, part Red Sox nation. That made it hard to decide what uniform to put on my wall Relief Pitcher (right).
I switched back to being the artist and made up my own team colors. After all, it is my team. Next year we're going to win the Series. Love those Boys of September.

12 comments:

Mimi Torchia Boothby Watercolors said...

your pitcher is so graceful~! I am not much for baseball, but we have a "divided" house hold too. It seems to be fairly typical. I like your team colors. I remember as a child thinking there should be more teams with socks. (Blue socks, orange socks, argyle socks)

Robin Kent said...

Glad the Red Sox wear Red Socks. Read in the site...

http://www.chicagonow.com/lists-that-actually-matter/2010/09/10-best-uniforms-in-american-sports/

...that the New York Yankees' famous interlocking N Y logo was initially made by Tiffany (the jewelry store) for the NY Fire Dept that rejected it, so the baseball team took it instead. Also that their famous pinstripe uniform was created to give a slimmer appearance to Babe Ruth. Interesting.

Carole Reid said...

Your Pitcher's uniform and throwing techniques are quite something! I wonder if it's a curve, slow, or knuckle ball he's about to release?

We are off to Oregon tomorrow and plan on watching McMinnville high school football on Friday night and hubby gets to watch a college game on Saturday.

Have a great week. Later gater.

Robin Kent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin Kent said...

(Opps! I misspelled and thus deleted my own post, above!)
Anyway, Carole, is the football you are going to see - what the neighbors south call soccer?

Sharin Barber said...

Home Run, Robin!

Robin Kent said...

Thanks momamama. Good comeback!

Karin Lynn said...

Oh Robin , you are so clever....first of all coming up with the idea, executing it so well, and putting personality in your characters. Have you ever done a "racewalker?" It gives me absolute delight.

Robin Kent said...

Karin, a long time ago I did a marathon runner called 'The Marathon Man'. Don't think I ever took a pic of it. Too bad, because I really liked it - he was very light on his feet. Will have to look for that. I've also done a 'Stroller', which I know I have a pic of. Don't think I've done anything between the two - your 'Racewalker'. Maybe time.

Cindi Myers said...

WOW, I love the movement of him, the flow....
once again. perfection.
and this is coming from someone that doesn't get baseball.
:D - Cindi

Gwen Bell said...

Great job on the action...so full of life and FUN!

Robin Kent said...

Aww, thank ya very much, Gwen. (Said in my best Elvis impersonation).