'Treats' Acrylic on wood assemblage ©robinrkent

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Year of Thinking Creatively

'Two for the Road'
acrylic paintng on antique barnboard
©robin r kent
Before it goes too far down the road, I thought I'd point out the longest day of the year was last Tuesday. Closely followed by the year's halfway point: today. Is it all just rolling by, or is it just the season?
For me, this year has unintentionally turned into the 'take stock' year. Evaluating what I've accomplished, what I like, and where I go (grow?) next. A good milestone for the 2011 halfway point timeline.
I'm comfortable in my primitive style, or is it more contemporary? Do I want to drop 'folk art' from my moniker?  Does using it narrow my audience when they'd be more receptive to another term? Any suggestions?
Does painting on canvas dilute my existing body of work? What about tackling more 'serious' subjects without wry undertones?
In the meantime, I'll keep on pedaling and see what comes of all this. There is no roadmap so I'll have to listen to my inner backseat driver. I'll know if I took the right road after a few pieces are behind me. Hopefully before the end of the year.

7 comments:

mimi said...

I love this! I see nothing wrong with the term 'folkart' I actually see it as more freeing, you can do whatever you want! I am curious as to how big this painting is and how much you price your paintings for. It is delightful and you even included a crow!

Cindi Myers said...

wow, it's like you are in my head. Lately I have been questioning the road that I am on. While I love working with the animals, I have totally let the "art" side of me fall to the wayside.
Lately I have had several people tell me that I need to get back to it. Then i feel like I have "signs" coming at me from everywhere. I feel like it's no accident that I found your blog and been inspired. Lately I feel like I'm running into a lot of fantastic artists and I feel like I need to just do it and maybe it will get me onto the road I need to go down. A few years ago I was selling some paintings on Ebay and I was never sure how to list them.
Sometimes I listed them as Folk Art, or Outsider Art or Naive Art or Primitive and Modern and even POP! I was never sure where people would look and if the "label" would discourage others from looking in that catagory.
Sigh....
Sorry about this looooooooong comment! LOL!
:D - Cindi

Carole Reid said...

Ahhhh the questions we ask ourselves at different stages in our art lives. You my dear Robin are so talented that whatever direction you go you will create spectacular work! Stationary pedalling gets tiring and the scenery doesn't change.

Robin Kent said...

Thank you both Mimi and Carole. It's so good to bounce these things around with fellow travelers on the rocky art road.
I did this @ 20w x 28h piece a couple of years ago and it sold for 500. I think the 2 antique boards were a good part of its value. You just don't see those dimensions (or prices!) anymore. It's one of my favorites.

Robin Kent said...

Cindi, it's a marketing conundrum really. Maybe because folk isn't as mainstream or easily classified in the art world and its 'look' crosses many borders.
I do think this is the universe is trying to get your attention to paint. No matter what label you call it... onwards.

Mikko Tyllinen said...

Fantastic paintimg! love whole those details and wonderful colors! Very beautiful artwork Robin!

FrancesVettergreenVisualArtist said...

I think your style is primitive, and your eye contemporary! I'm leery of labels...who fits in a box? But on the other hand, if people are looking for a specific thing, especially online, categories help. But no matter what you call it, no reason you can't follow your muse to whatever horizon calls you.

Thanks for your kind comments on my website! May I ask how you found me (always curious)?